The installation of the complex (1659 - 1675), upon which is engage the new garoviana design, is organized in two courts and has its core in the Hall of Diana, diaphragm in comparison to the gardens, which are made of: the hemicycle of the “Theater”, the "Fountain of Hercules", the long "Allea", the "Temple of Diana" and "Basso Garden” with fountains and a fish pond. To the southwest there are kennels, the "Citroniera", the "Deer High Park" and the site of "pall-mall."
In buildings instead succeeded, in 1716 the great director Juvarra, which enlarges the choices, freeing it from the rigidity of the system with the construction of the Church of St. Hubert and Citroniera-Scuderia and melting also the composition of the node size of the gallery in height and proportions compared to an unique court.
In 1659 it was realised that the grandiose project of Duke Carlo Emanuele II to built an establishment for the practice of hunting in the small village of Upper Altessano, changing name to the Community into Royal Venaria. The first designer of the complex was the royal architect Count Amedeo di Castellamonte. The next construction site between 1700 and 1701 by architect Michael Garove, envisages the demolition of the old installation, with the construction of the Pavilion to the west and from 1702, the building of the Gallery and Citroniera below and the completion of the halls symmetrical on this side of the court. The projects of the architectural walls and of the Garden take two different roads from 1713, the date of the death of Garove. In the buildings in 1716 took over the study Juvarrian, which enlarges the choices with the construction of the church of S. Uberto and Citroniera-Scuderia. Also the Juvarrian project remained incomplete, some elements will be resolved later by Benedetto Alfieri from 1739 under the reign of Carlo Emanuele III.
In 1751 the construction of the building between the church and the hall toward the village was launched. Between 1754 and 1755 a small tunnel was built to connect the church and the Citroniera. The internal equipment and the distribution of the apartments of the Palace were the first substantial changes, which went consolidating around the eighties of the eighteenth century, with the creation in 1788 of the staircase in front of the Royal Palace of Diana. With the French era the building inexorably, due to its large proportions and the serious damages, it lost its original function and was stripped of its furnishings.
Director: Alberto Vanelli
Piazza della Repubblica, 4 - 10078 Venaria (TO)
Tel. 011 499 23 33